So its the end of the day, time to go to bed. But the problem is, once you are there, you simply cannot fall asleep. Completely frustrating. But there can be a number of reasons why this is happening. We will cover a few briefly here.
1. Stress This is incredibly common. If you are stressed or worried about something, you cannot sleep. During the day you are occupied with many other things, so what is bothering you is put to the back of your mind. When you go to bed however, whilst trying to relax, all you have is your thoughts. Try to address whatever is bothering you during the day. Talk to your partner, and get everything off your chest.
2. Depression This is one of the main reasons of not being able to sleep. Suffering from depression and not getting help will cause you to suffer when its sleep time. Likewise some medication can have side effects which can have a negative effect on sleep. If you are suffering with depression in either instance, you need to seek further medical help. The lack of quality sleep will online exaggerate the feelings of depression and make them worse.
3. Sleeping Environment It is essential that your environment is comfortable and quiet. Noise disturbances are an avoidable problem with a little planning in advance. Of course if you have babies or young children it is a different matter and you might have to accept that you may have a disturbed sleep pattern for a while.
4. Lacking Sunlight Did you know that a lack of natural daylight limits hormone product that stimulates during the day and then reduces at night which triggers the bodies desire to rest and sleep. So if you work in an office for long hours without windows, make sure that on breaks, you get outside.
5. Routine Do you have a regular routine? Do you wake and go to bed a similar times? If not this wont be helping. You can train your body clock to realize that the time is approaching for bed. Your hormone levels will naturally start to change and certain times of the day, and you should start to find that you will fall asleep easier.
These are just a few things that you could consider trying to help getting to sleep at night. This is a huge subject and many more posts will be posted on this subject.